Skip to content ↓

Train to Teach

Get into Teaching

A great starting point for information on how to become a teacher is the Department for Education's Get into Teaching website. You can browse the information here or register for tailored support. You can obtain personalised advice from the Get into Teaching team on your training options, the application process and your next steps. You can register here.


Who do you want to teach?


Get school experience or attend events to see which of the following settings suits you best:

Check your qualifications - are you eligible?

Check your qualifications

Once you have a degree or equivalent qualification you’re ready for postgraduate primary or secondary initial teacher training.

You also need the following GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, or equivalent qualifications:

  • English
  • maths
  • science if you want to teach primary

You may be able to show you meet the standard in another way if you do not have these GCSEs.

Chat online for qualifications advice

Find out what to do if you’re an international candidate with qualifications from overseas.

If you're not already studying for a degree and you do not have one you can do undergraduate teacher training.


Financial support while you train

You can get funding that you do not have to pay back if you train to teach certain subjects.

You can also apply for a student loan to cover course fees and living costs.

Training to  teach can be a big investment and you need to consider course and living costs, which can vary between programmes and regions of the UK. Find out what financial help is available here.

The amount of funding you receive for teacher training can vary each year and depends on:

  • your degree classification or highest relevant academic qualification
  • the subject you have chosen to teach
  • where you live and plan to study
  • your personal circumstances.
  • teaching bursaries for training in England

If you are on a salaried teacher training course, such as the School Direct salaried route, Teacher Apprenticeship or Teach First, trainees are treated as employees from the beginning. This means that you will earn a salary while you train, and so will not be entitled to other financial support packages. You will require a supporting school who will enter into a contractual arrangement with you. The teacher training providers that you are applying to will be able to advise you on local options.

To encourage graduates to teach certain subjects, bursaries and scholarships may be available:


To encourage graduates to teach certain subjects, bursaries of up to £26,000 are available in England. You will need a first, 2:1, 2:2, Masters or PhD to be eligible for a bursary. Certain eligibility requirements depend on the subject and age range you plan to teach and your degree class. Bursaries are only available if you are on a course leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and are not currently employed as a teacher.


An alternative to a bursary, teaching scholarships of £26,000 are available to fund your teacher training for some subjects only. This is set up in partnership with highly regarded professional subject associations. These competitive scholarships are aimed at those with a first or 2:1 degree. Applicants with a 2:2 and extensive experience can apply.

Student loans and Tuition fees

Tuition fee loans are paid directly to your university, college or ITT provider - it does not matter if you already have a student loan from your undergraduate degree. You can still apply for this student loan to support your teacher training. You will not repay a penny back until you are working and earning. Click here to check your eligibility.

Maintenance loans

UK students starting a one-year postgraduate teacher training course in 2020/21 could be eligible for maintenance loan and/or tuition fee loans. Tuition fee loans are available to cover course costs, while maintenance loans are available to help with living costs. Students with children or a disability can apply for further funding from Student Finance - this could include the Childcare Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance, Adult Dependents' grants and Disabled Students' Allowance, which do not have to be paid back.

Details about these grants and the funding arrangements for trainees can be found here.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

DSA is paid in addition to other student finance to help pay the extra costs you may incur because of your disability. It does not have to be repaid, depends on your individual needs and is not assessed according to your household income. Find out more about Disabled Students' Allowances click here.

Find the right training provider

Hampshire and Surrey have outstanding teacher training providers. You can connect with them all using this website


Get tips on applying, including finding the right referees and writing a personal statement.

Your teacher training adviser can also help you get your application ready.

Get tips on applying.