Free CPD Course - MFL Curriculum Design and Pedagogy
NEW Free PD Available from Language Hubs
The National Centre for Excellence for Language Pedagogy (NCELP) has just released details of its CPD offer, with courses starting in January 2022: www.ncelp.org/cpd. NCELP is encouraging schools to register their interest now ahead of applications opening.
- Research-informed French, German and Spanish teaching at KS3 and KS4 for higher uptake and greater success at GCSE
- Five free 2½ hour remote learning sessions over one term, complemented by online peer and instructor support
- Phonics: Unlock the many benefits of phonics: help pupils learn the sound system, sound out accurately, develop confidence in production and much more.
- Grammar: Approach grammar in three phases: explanation, practice in understanding, and practice in production - to allow learners to use grammar quickly.
- Curriculum Design and Assessment: Develop Schemes of Work and assessments to best support early stages of language development in our low exposure foreign language setting, aligned to the proposed GCSE MFL subject content.
- Meaningful Practice: Understand the meaningful (as opposed to mechanical) practice that learners need: purposeful, frequent, varied (in mode and modality) and incremental.
Places are free but will be limited. Applications will open in 2021 for afternoon or twilight courses running in 21/22 Spring, Summer and 22/23 Autumn Terms. Schools will be asked to nominate one teacher to apply to attend, typically Head of Department or Trust Subject Lead. An open-access online self-study course will also be available for all.
✓ Research-informed approach as set
out in MFL Pedagogy Review
✓ Accompanied by free resources for
KS3 and (forthcoming) KS4
✓ Aligned with proposed new GCSE
✓ Aligned with Ofsted Framework
✓ Aligned with Early Career Framework
✓ Aligned with Rosenshine Principles