Skip to content ↓

Train to Teach

Assessment Only - QTS for unqualified teachers​​​​​​​

If you’ve worked as an unqualified teacher, you may be able to get qualified teacher status (QTS) through an assessment only programme.

If you already have QTS, find out how you can return to teaching.

What is the assessment only route to QTS?

You can take the assessment only route to QTS if you already meet the standards for qualified teacher status, so do not need any further training.

Instead, you will undertake a series of assessments. This may include lesson observations, providing a portfolio of evidence to show you meet the teachers’ standards, or written assessments. This will vary by your provider.

The assessment programme takes up to 12 weeks.

How much does assessment only QTS cost?

Fees range from about £1,500 to £4,000, but vary between provider so it’s best to check with them for more information.

Fees may be paid by you or your school at the start of the programme. If you’re currently working in a school, talk to your employer about your funding options.

Eligibility for assessment only QTS

To be eligible, you need (all of the following):

  • to be able to show you meet the teachers’ standards(opens in new window) without any more training
  • to have worked in 2 or more schools
  • a degree
  • GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above in English and maths (and science if you want to teach primary)

Specific entry criteria may vary by teacher training provider. You should ask them about eligibility before you apply.

Are teaching assistants eligible?

If you’ve worked as a teaching assistant, it’s unlikely you’ll have the experience required for assessment only.

There may be exceptional cases where teaching assistants have worked for a significant amount of time (at least 2 years) independently teaching classes and may be eligible.

Talk to your provider about whether your experience makes you eligible for this route.

Or, find other ways you can train to be a teacher.

Are non-UK citizens eligible?

If you’re a non-UK citizen, you should contact training providers who assess international teachers.

Click here to find an assessment only training provider.