- National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
- NPQ Leadership Programmes - NPQSL, NPQH, NPQEL, NPQEYL
- NPQEYL - Early Years Leadership
NPQEYL - Early Years Leadership
NPQEYL: Early Years Leadership has been developed to underpin and increase early years-specific pedagogical leadership in early years settings, strengthen staff pedagogy, and support children whose development has been impacted by the pandemic.
The qualification will investigate early education and child development, with a focus on communication, language, and physical development as well as personal, social and emotional growth, in line with the EYSF reforms. The setting of strategic direction and organisational culture, as well as pedagogical leadership, including evidence-based learning will also be explored.
NPQ for Early Years Leadership is for leaders qualified to at least level 3 with a full and relevant qualification who are, or are aspiring to be:
- managers of private, voluntary and independent nurseries
- headteachers of school-based or maintained nurseries
- childminders with leadership responsibilities
The NPQ in Early Years Leadership, will support leaders to develop expertise in leading high-quality education and care, as well as in effective staff and organisational management, working with and through their colleagues so that every child gets the best start in life.
All NPQs are taught through a blended balance of online individual learning, online seminars and face-to-face meetings and a simplified end-of-course assessment. There are two cohorts annually, starting in Autumn and Spring.
This programme last for 18 months.
The assessment process has been refreshed to reduce the workload burden on teachers while still providing an opportunity for them to apply their knowledge.
To pass an NPQ, participants will need to engage with at least 90% of the course and complete a final assessment.
Free funding plus additional payments to small schools is available. Please see the Funding Section 'Updated NPQ Scholarship Eligibility Criteria' above.
In addition, Early years practitioners and leaders working in the following settings in England will be eligible for scholarship funding from the DfE for the NPQEYL only:
- childcare providers registered on the Ofsted Early Years Register, providing childcare on non-domestic premises.
- childcare providers registered on the Ofsted Early Years Register, providing childcare on domestic premises.
- childminders registered on the Ofsted Early Years Register.
- childminders registered with an Ofsted-registered childminder agency, caring for early years children.
Further information was released by the DfE 26/05/22 and can be read here.