Skip to content ↓

Train to Teach

What qualifications do I need?

  1. You need a bachelor’s degree to teach in primary, secondary and special schools in England. This does not have to be a degree in teaching; it can be in any subject. Different training providers may also have specific criteria. For example, some may ask that you have a bachelor’s degree class 2:2 or above.
  2. You need qualified teacher status (QTS) to teach in maintained primary, secondary and special schools in England (schools funded by local authorities). You can get this through initial teacher training (ITT). You do not need QTS to teach in further education or early years.
  3. You also need the following GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, or equivalent qualifications:
  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science if you want to teach primary

You may be able to show you meet the standard in another way if you do not have these GCSEs. 

Click here if you do not have a degree (and you're not already studying for one) you can do undergraduate initial teacher training.

Click here if you have a degree (or equivalent qualification) you’re ready for postgraduate initial teacher training.